Elderly Amarillo Couple Die At Home From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Over the weekend an elderly Amarillo couple died in their home due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
The home is in the 900 block of North Evergreen. According to investigators the couple was using an appliance manufactured for outdoor cooking inside the kitchen. The appliance is similar to a turkey fryer; a large open flame creating toxic levels of carbon monoxide. With the cold temperatures the home was not vented and the fumes quickly built up when the appliance was used.
There was no carbon monoxide detector in the home. The odorless gas decreases the amount of oxygen your blood can carry and can quickly become fatal. The fire department urges everyone to check their carbon monoxide detectors and if they don’t have them to install them as soon as possible.