If You Thought I-40 was Bad Now, Just Wait It’s Getting Worse
The construction in Amarillo is about to triple. Find out how your commute is going to be a nightmare.
This Week's Construction:
- In preparation for bridge work set to begin on Interstate 40 at Lakeside Drive, Pullman Road and Whitaker Road, the right lane of the eastbound frontage road will be closed before the Whitaker and Lakeside exits starting Monday, April 2. On Wednesday, April 4, the right lane of I-40 eastbound starting north of the entrance ramp, east of the airport, will be closed at Pullman Road to set portable concrete traffic barriers.
- I-40 westbound, the left and center lanes will be closed from Pullman Road to Grand Street for fog seal and crack seal operations on Tuesday and Wednesday, April 3 and 4.
- I-27, various lanes of the frontage roads will be closed in both directions for patching. There will be lane closures at the intersections of Western and Georgia streets in both directions also.
- I-40, various lanes of the frontage roads will be closed from Whitaker Road to Grand Street in both directions for fog seal operations.
- I-40/I-27 interchange, various shoulders will be closed for reseeding of grass and erosion control.
More Information on the Bridge Demolitions:
The Texas Department of Transportation is preparing to remove and replace six bridges located at Whitaker Road, SL 335 (Lakeside Drive) and FM 1258 (Pullman Road). In addition to the bridge replacements, this project will include:
- Roadway improvements consisting of overlay work on the interstate’s eastbound and westbound main lanes from Nelson Street to the US 287 split.
- Reversal of the westbound ramps between Spur 468 (Airport Drive/Juett Attebury Drive) and Whitaker Road.
- Ramp profile modifications of the remaining ramps.
This project is expected to take 3 years to complete.
In other words if you are trying to get out of Amarillo or into Amarillo it will take forever.