True West Magazine Names the Panhandle Plains Historical Museum As One of the Best Western Museums in American
We know we have a great museum in our area. In fact we have the best museum in the State of Texas. The Panhandle Plains Museum in Canyon is an amazing place to visit and learn about our amazing heritage. The PPHM is being honored
True West magazine has released the list of the best Western Museums in America. The Panhandle Plains Historical Museum received 2nd place on the list. The magazine said:
“The Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum’s dedication to their mission of preserving and interpreting our great Western history for all generations is inspiring,” says True West Executive Editor Bob Boze Bell. “They keep the Old West vibrant and relevant for 21st century audiences.”
People were able to go online and nominate their favorite museum through the True West Magazine website. Then Spur Award-winning writer Candy Moulton and the editors of True west chose the winners based on the efforts of the museums this year to show new temporary exhibits and as well as the permanent exhibits. The PPHM has done an extraordinary job of doing this with all their awesome exhibits. They always have something new to offer and are always updating the current exhibits. It's an amazing place to visit.
The list will be featured in the September 2016 issue of True West Magazine.
The Top 10 Western Museums courtesy of True West Magazine:
10. Autry National Center of the American West, Los Angeles, California
9. Chisholm Trail Heritage Center, Duncan, Oklahoma
8. Columbia Gorge Discovery Center and Museum, The Dalles, Oregon
7. Yakama Nation Museum and Cultural Heritage Center, Toppenish, Washington
6. Nevada State Museum, Las Vegas, Nevada
5. Days of ’76 Museum, Deadwood, South Dakota
4. Buffalo Soldiers National Museum, Houston, Texas
3. Cody Firearms Museum, Buffalo Bill Center of the West, Cody, Wyoming
2. Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, Canyon, Texas
And the Top Western Museum for 2016…Boot Hill Museum, Dodge City, Kansas!
The museum feature includes “Museums to Know,” “Museums to Watch,” “Natural History Museums,” “Ranch and Agriculture Museums,” “Best Historical Buildings,” “The Top Ten Western Museums and “Art Museums to Watch.”
You can pick up this issue on newsstands on August 9th or you can purchase a copy or subscription by visiting, twmag.com or call 888-687-1881.
Congratulations to the Panhandle Plains Historical Museum on the great honor.